Thursday, October 2, 2008

Today in my studio...

Hi, you. How about a little view into my studio?



See that chaos? I love it! Every once in a while, Dan or my mom will get fed up with the mess and clean it up. I hate that! In my mess of tools, I know where every single thing is. Like Tom Thumb, I can reach into the pile and pull out what I need.

People often ask how we get the pieces concave. Well, here are the doming tools:



Dan and I worked in there today while Joey was at preschool and Linus was playing with my parents. We listened to music (my favorite CD - Dan's). Dan was working on Indian Head nickels. I made a piece that I've been wanting to make for quite a while. It's a Leaf Half Dollar Pendant. I wasn't sure what it was going to look like until just before I started, when I looked around on the ground outside my studio for interesting leaves. I decided to go with a really simple design.



Here it is in progress, with one side already cut off:



I sanded off the eagle side, leaving the lady side intact. I cut off the tip of one of the scraps (see the scraps on the right side of the following picture) and soldered it to the top of the leaf, then soldered a half-ring onto the back. I created the veins in the leaf.



And a close-up, taken outside:



It was a productive day. :)

3 comments:

T. Armstrong said...

Ooooo...I love that one! :)

Jessie said...

Thanks for the comment! I love comments! And thanks for still reading my blog. :)

Alpaca Granny said...

Jessie, this is awesome to see you doing your creative work